Tuesday, August 10, 2004

A Window into the Past

Last night the pangs of my youth struck hard at my adulthood. Warm embarrassment licked me up one side and back down the other, as when you read the pages from your childhood diary or look at pictures filled with inappropriate haircuts and clothing; the words “What was I thinking” fall effortlessly from the lips.

I, in attempts to free myself of excess and plunge head first into a minimalist lifestyle, came across printed electronic mail correspondence from two years ago.

Things that have changed in 2 years:
1. My job: I’ve left my low paying television job for a well paying day job.
2. I am obsessing and not obsessing over different people.
3. My active cast of characters in my life (my inner circle of friends.)
4. Extracurricular activity (exchanging comedy for Rock n’ Roll.)
5. I’m not so nervous about life or preoccupied by things I can’t change.

Things that have not changed in 2 years:
1. Going out too late on a school nights
2. Obsessing and not obsessing over people
3. Misplacing important articles such as wallets, passports and cell phones.
4. Trying to find peace with a minimalist lifestyle and failing.
5. I’m single

Looking in the past, marking my progress has given me a vague idea of where I’m going or, at the very least, how far (or not so far) I’ve come. It may not be the direction or distance I intended, but it makes for a good read. (Especially the something about four of us on a street corner in the wee hours of the night playing “spin the bottle” with a half broken Snapple bottle…serious discussions with a man washing the windows at a diner about volleyball…rooftop parties straight to work…guessing to what’s in a boy’s head [knowing where the relationship is never going]…knowing then the people who matter today.)

No comments: