Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Whine with my Wine

Another Brooklyn Ladies Association Happy Hour (BLAHH) was called to order last night at 7pm. Four ladies were present at commencement and were able to orient themselves to the daunting menu at the Jake Walk before the other members arrived. In the end, we tried many different types of wines on their vast list, sampled the country pate, olives, 3 different kinds of cheeses. All were delicious and our waitress was adorably helpful.

It was a wonderful way to spend the delicate part of the evening, transitioning from work into leisure. And now that is spring, we were able to sip down the sun. As night rolled over us, and taking a good look in our wallets, we opted for move on to cheaper food and beverage. Some got Cuban sandwiches others falafel, but all met up at the Zombie Hut for 5 dollar “dessert” drinks or 3 dollar beers.

The Zombie Hut was the scene of a rather ugly birthday, where I consumed an entire scorpion bowl (a 151 rum drink) and had to be removed from my own party. At home, somehow I cracked my head on the radiator next to my bed, succeeding in giving myself a concussion. I am now very cautious at the Zombie Hut. I would like to report a stellar performance this visit, but alas I am not meant to be pretty at this bar. Sadly, the 2 glasses of wine loosened my disposition, constitution and my lips. I unloaded my current, past, and future hardships onto a wonderful friend who took all of it with grace and sympathy. Alcohol and grief are not friendly bed fellows and when forced to mix the resulting crash spills on to the people in the hit zone. The amount of alcohol consumed determines the diameter of the “hit zone” and the resulting carnage. There were not many stray bullets this time…

After the “unburdening,” things improved immensely, as we proceeded to a birthday celebration down the block.

I am happy to report that the BLAHH is about to start a BLAHHG: A blog to document and review all the places we try. Also, I have found a partner to help me return to the world of comedy. Our plan is to write and perform a brilliantly funny piece. For now, my plan is to enjoy the sunshine and approaching warm weather and try to figure out each day as they come.

No comments: