Friday, December 10, 2004

The Young, The Old, The District

At an Apartment on Ludlow:
I spent the evening enjoying life as a college grad. Admittedly, I graduated too early. Not to say that my genius carried me through the course work at an accelerated pace, but that I’ve been out of college and well into my twenties much longer than our hosts, who’ve just graduated and rented their first NYC apartment. They’ve dressed their walls and floors in grown up accessories and filled the rooms with adorable conversation. I was impressed by the feel and look of the “young” apartment. And instead of feeling old, I felt young and ready for anything.

It made me think about beginning life after college and it’s evolution as graduation day sinks farther and farther into the past. Remember when your major talking points were related to life experiences you had while in college, a couple of months ago? When you put your milk crate table on the curb and took your bed down from the cinder blocks and walked awkwardly into sophistication and intelligent conversation? What intelligent conversation? It was amusing to watch people in that tween place, figuring out what sort of adult they were going to be…whether they were going to be an adult (a decision I have yet to make..)

We (Dana, Matt, Andy & I) left the apartment on Ludlow and went to Bowery Ballroom to see some bands: The Bravery and Moving Units. I was disappointed with the Moving Units stage presence. They didn’t have command over the audience who slowly slipped downstairs to the bar as they played. They are excellent musicians with a tight sound, but didn’t enrapture the New York audience there mostly to see the marketable faces of the Bravery Boys (and tight, tight jeans.)

RHTL REPORT: The Debutantes Play DC

The RHTL is headed for the District. Adventures in the Nation’s Capital include: car trips, roadside pit stops, drinking vodka, exploring the suburbs for guitar accessories and music joke books, drinking vodka, playing music (see subject line), keg parties, making it home in one piece.

No comments: