Friday, October 01, 2004

The Truth From a Liar

With a very close friend and Grandmother in the hospital battling serious afflictions, I turned to a vigorous foreign policy debate and beer.

I joined a crowd already gathered around the television in a Brooklyn apartment, anticipating the gems that would enviably fall from W’s lips like drool from a baby. I vigorously sipped beer. A room filled to the corners with tipsy anti-Bushers took turns commenting on their favorite Bush debatisms, i.e. spreading liberty, flip flopping, and my favorite: “it’s hard work and people are working hard, I saw them on my TV screen.” Kerry spoke well, thoughtful and well versed. In comparison, Bush was reduced to a riled up little man, angry about people on his lawn.

This morning I dragged my self into the office, cursing my sippy beer and fancying an egg and cheese sandwich. Three co-workers, with inquisitive eyes, took turns alerting me to the lack of sleep written across my face. The comments were followed by good news; I over-looked their prying. There was free breakfast in the conference room! As soon as breached the conference room B threshold, charming aromas combined in my nostrils, spreading a smile across my face. As if lit by angels, the steaming bagels, chocolate covered doughnuts, fruit, and coffee where laid out before me as if gifted by the gods. I ate a bagel with cream cheese and a chocolate covered doughnut. The day then seemed presentable.

More coffee.

No comments: